Job Type: Part-Time
- Sunday Morning Worship – 10:45 AM
- Sunday Evening Baptism/Communion – 1st Sundays at 3:30 PM
- Monthly Wednesday Bible Study – 7 PM
- Choir Rehearsals – TBD
- Note: Additional worship services may occasionally be added depending upon the Church Calendar.
Purpose of Position:
To provide musical accompaniment on the organ/keyboard under the general day-to-day supervision of the Pastor to support the overall worship ministries of the church. For the church to do ministry in an atmosphere conducive to a move of God, music is essential. We desire a music ministry that is spiritually grounded, dynamic, and life changing. Hence, the Musician (Keyboardist/Organist) will be a part of a team tasked with creating an environment that presents an appreciation for the role of traditional and contemporary music in Christian worship.
Reports to: Pastor
Required Skills and Personal Traits:
- A personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and a strong desire to serve within a church.
- Outstanding interpersonal people skills (i.e., “I care”).
- Familiarity with sacred and secular music in a wide range of styles, able to plan and coordinate the music program with the Pastor and other staff, and demonstrate expertise in conducting a choir.
- Familiarity with a diverse array of Christian music (i.e., traditional music to include hymns as well as contemporary praise and worship music).
- A high level of overall musicianship with exceptional keyboard/organ skills, including proficiency at sight reading and improvisation, and a high degree of computer literacy and communication skills.
- The ability to “play by ear.”
- Demonstrated experience in leading church music and directing choirs and musicians.
- Leadership ability and the ability to inspire volunteers.
- A musical degree or demonstrated ongoing coursework toward such a degree, with completed coursework in choral directing (and/or demonstrated, verifiable experience as a choral director) or equivalent experience.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- A professional attitude and a servant’s heart.
- Willingness to learn new skills, work as a team player and overall dependability and accessibility.
- Personal integrity must be above reproach.
- Reliable transportation.
Job Responsibilities (as follows, but not limited to):
- Musician – Play keyboard/organ for all regular and special worship services and Bible Studies.
- Rehearsals – Attend scheduled choir and/or band rehearsals.
- Musical Program Development & Execution – An essential part of the musician’s responsibility is the ability to provide not only a dynamic music program but one that is also well-organized, stable, and professionally executed.
- Worship Planning Meetings – Participate in scheduled worship planning meetings.
- Musical Creativity – Develop and implement “tracks.”
- Special Services – Serve as a resource for those planning weddings, memorial services, and funerals.
- Instrument Maintenance – Arrange for the care and appropriate maintenance of musical equipment owned by the church.
- Substitution – Secure substitute keyboardist/organist when needed.
- Additional responsibilities and duties as directed.
Other General Expectations Include:
- Should always exhibit a high degree of professionalism, demonstrated by well-groomed appearance, conscientious work ethic, accountability, and willingness to improve musical and personal skills.
- Should be willing and able to work at a fast pace within a variety of settings and circumstances, with composure and flexibility.
- Should be willing to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Should always exercise discernment and wise judgment.
- Should have a motivated attitude with the willingness to seek new information, training, and resources as needed.
Of course this is not an all-encompassing list of duties. It is just a guide to help you get a good understanding of the types of tasks you should be performing or may be required to perform throughout the course of your employment.